More than 5 million Australians rent their home, and yet we have one of the most expensive and yet unregulated rental markets in the world.
Our rental market is broken and it’s time to take urgent action to improve the conditions for those Melburnians who live in private rental housing.
As more people now see renting as their only housing option, the time to improve the rights and conditions for renters is well overdue.
1) Control rents to stop prices ballooning
2) Implement minimum standards for rentals
3) Introduce European-style long-term leases
4) Landlords must give longer notice for long-term renters
5) End ‘no-grounds’ evictions
6) Give renters the right to hammer nails in walls and own pets